Everyone is a teacher of careers!
Why embed careers into your curriculum?
New Inspiration: You could be providing the single inspirational moment that changes the direction of a student’s life.
Motivation: Students see that subjects are relevant to the real world and therefore why it’s important to study them.
Gatsby Benchmark 4
Linking curriculum learning to careers: https://youtu.be/DH8zNcp4uEI?si=s8wbZO4X9EU3uexG
Here are a few simple things you can do:
- Create a careers corner/display in your classroom
- Share pathways student could take at age 16 and age 18
- Highlight employability skills that link to activities
- Frame your lesson with a job role or job sector (link to LMI)
- Display websites and events
- Be personal and share your own story
- Engage with parents, businesses and organisations
- Invite alumni – the cherry on the cake!
Careers support for students with SEND